Sunday 24 November 2013

Srimadh Bagawatham - Ambarisha Charitram Part 2






( As King Ambarishan was a devotee of Lord Ranganatha of Srirangam, it was the famous Srirangam Chakrathazhwar who chased sage Durvasar)
Sudarsana Azhwar couldn’t bear to see the Sage treat Ambarishan this way. He immediately flew towards the demon and destroyed it. After destroying the demon, Sudarsanaazhwar started to chase Sage Durvasar. Unable to bear the heat emitted by the chakram the Sage ran trying to evade the chakram. Chakrathazhwar maintaind a certain distance from the sage enough to terrorize him and yet didn’t try to attack him. The Sage ran to Brahma’s Satya Lokam.



‘Please help me!’ yelled the Sage as he fell at Brhma’s feet.
‘What is the matter? Is a demon trying to harm you?’
‘The Lord’s Sudarasana Chakram is after me. Please save me from it!’
‘I work under the Lord. He has assigned me a life span of 100 years so that I might help create. I do not have the capacity to stand against the Lord or His chakram. I am sorry but you have to leave my abode before the Lord’s chakram burns my abode.’
Turned away by Brhma, Sage Durvasar ran to Kailasam followed by the chakram. He fell at the feet of Lord Siva.
‘Please save me from the Lord’s Chakram,’ he cried.
‘No one has the capacity to save you from the Lord’s chakram. You must surrender to the Lord for help.’
Sage Durvasar ran to Sri Vaikuntham with the chakram following him closely.
‘Bakthavathsala, Krishna, Mukuntha, Narayana,’ cried the save as he approached the Lord and fell at his feet.
‘Welcome to my abode,’ said the Lord. ‘Where are you coming from?’ asked the Lord innocently even though He was aware about Sage Durvasar’s transgression against Ambarisha.
‘I am coming from King Ambarisha’s place.’
‘No wonder you are doing my Nama sankeerthanam! Did he teach you the proper way to sing my names beautifully?’
‘No, I didn’t visit him to learn namasankeerthanam.’
‘Why did you visit him?’
‘He invited me to his place for Dwadashi Paranai.’
‘How wonderful! You have been blessed to break your fast in the company of my beloved devotee!’
‘I didn’t break my fast yet..’
‘Why? What happened?’
‘I wanted to test Ambarishan. I took a very long bath and by the time I went to his abode Dwadashi was almost over.’
‘Had he eaten without you?’
‘No he was waiting for me. He was about to break the fast by taking a sip of holy water.’
‘You must have blessed him because he passed your test!’
‘That’s where I made a mistake,’ said the Sage. ‘I created a demon and sent it after him but the demon was destroyed by your chakram which is now after me. Govinda, please call your chakram back!’
‘Even though I am not happy with you I wish I could help you. I am baktha paradeenaha. I am bound by the love of my devotees. I have no control over my chakram since Sudarasana Azhwar on his own has decided to protect my devotee. The only person who can now save you is Ambarishan!’
The Sage ran all the way back to earth. One whole year had passed and yet Ambarishan had not eaten anything. He was waiting anxiously for the Sage to return safely.
‘Please forgive my mistake,’ cried the Sage as he fell at Ambarishan’s feet.

‘What big words you use in the company of a lowly person like myself!’ said the king.
As the sage raised the King prostrated at his feet. Sudarsana azhwar vanished from view.
‘Please forgive my error and bless me by breaking the Ekadashi fast with me,’ requested the king.
Even though Sudarsana Azhwar had come to protect the king, Ambarishan did not feel proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Translate

Blog Archive

Search This Blog