Monday 29 April 2013

Srimadh Bagawatham - Bakthi, Gnanam and Vairagyam




The Bagawatha Puranam brings us closer to Lord Krishna by reviving our devotion for Him. We not only feel love for Him but we also gain knowledge about Him and develop determination to follow the prescribed devotional practices to attain Him.
Sage Naradar once met a young maiden trying to revive two old men on the banks of River Yamuna. The sage went to help the woman.
‘My name is Bakthi,’ said the woman. ‘These are my sons Gnanam and vairagyam.’
The sage was surprised to see that her sons looked older compared to her.
‘I was born in Tamil Nadu and as I traveled with my sons from Tamil Nadu to Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat, we started to mature as we grew older. Finally we arrived at the banks of River Yamuna and here at Vrindavan my sons fell down from exhaustion. I was able to revive myself and the waters of the river turned me in to a young woman but I am unable to revive my sons. Originally we used to be a team of four members. We were sent by Lord from Sri Vaikuntham. I had a friend called Mukthi. I and my sons along with Mukthi stayed here throughout Krita, Treta and Dwapara Yugam. As soon as Kali Yugam arrived, Mukthi went back to Sri Vaikuntham promising to return if I called for her. Soon, my sons Gnanam and Vairagyam fell down as well.’

Bakthi’s narration shows us that if Bakthi is present, we will easily get Mukthi. Knowledge (Gnanam) and Vairagyam (determination) are difficult to perform in Kali Yugam. Even in Kali Yugam, it is very easy for people to do Bakthi. Many people go to temples during utsavam but very few people go to attend lectures in order to gain knowledge or follow prescribed practices like Ekadashi fast with determination.

Sage Naradar vowed to help Bakthi. At that moment an akashvani was heard which instructed Sage Naradar to do that good deed which will revive the two men. The voice did not specify which deed must be performed. As Sage Naradar, stood on the banks of river Yamuna trying to figure out the deed that must be performed, the Sanakathi Munivars arrived to instruct Sage Narada. They asked the sage to read Srimadh Bagawatham in seven days in order to revive Gnanam and Vairagyam. They then narrated the following story to show the importance of Srimadh Bagawatham.
The story will be continued in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Translate

Blog Archive

Search This Blog